Tonya is a holistic nutritionist, writer, and one of my favourite people. I had her whip up one of her delicious recipes for me and we chatted about all things food. Stay tuned for an interview coming soon with her healthy outlook on eating with lots of foodie tips.
Says Tonya, “I try to eat seasonally as much as possible. So as a Canadian in the winter this means… root vegetables galore! The root family is large and I’ve been making friends with a lot of new ones like celery root, sunchokes and parsnips. My go-to roots are beets (a great liver detoxifier), sweet potato, rutabaga (a good root for adrenal fatigue), turnips, carrots and of course it goes without saying garlic and onions too. You can add a lot of flavour by roasting your root veggies with different herbs too.”
Find the full recipe for her Roasted Root Veggies below.
Roasted Root Veggies
1 sweet potato
3-4 tbsp. coconut oil
himalayan sea salt
a dallop of tahini, optional
– Set oven to 300F
– Cut the root veggies into cubes and place on a pan lined with parchment paper
– Wash and cut up sage and rosemary, sprinkle over vegetables
– Drizzle 3-4 tbsp. of coconut oil over the vegetables and give them a good toss to ensure everything is coated
– Add salt to taste
– Place in oven and cook for 50 minutes, mixing after 25 minutes
– Allow time to cool and enjoy!
– Delicious when enjoyed with a tbsp of tahini!